Five Ways To Improve Your Reputation
1. Your website
You should have a strong website. The thing that catalogs best, thats going to occupy the most spots in the search engine is your proprietary website. Before you do any advanced reputation management strategy like Facebook and LinkedIn you MUST have a strong website. Your website will come up great on the search engines. You will control all the content. If you write a blog or have information that changes on your website, it will catalog at a very high level. Its the first step to controlling your online space. If you dont have a good website, that is absolutely the place you need to start.
2. Domain names
how do you refer to a website? You call it Google or Yahoo! or GoDaddy.com - you refer to it by the domain name. The domain name is, from a search standpoint, the title of the site. Its a good idea to register domains and then link them to logical places., Youre telling everybody whats going on at the very highest level. Its also a very good idea you own your name and link that to your site too. Its a very useful strategy in telling people who you are and what you do.
First, make a facebook profile for yourself. This can be as private as you like. After you have a profile you then can create a Facebook page dedicated to your practice. On this Facebook page you should put your best cases, testimonials, and information. Basically build a tiny version of your website within Facebook. Connect your website to Facebook and visa versa. Why do this?
- Facebook Pages catalog extremely well.
- Helps control your results before a 3rd party does.
- Occupies a Google result of a search for you.
- Facebook is a powerful content management system.
- Facebook is easily accessed by mobile devices
- As of NOV 23, 2010 Facebook represents 25% of us web traffic and growing quickly
LinkedIn is a widely used professional network. It is a respected resource and it catalogs extremely well. If you want to control your Google results under searches for you, setting up a Linkedin page is very helpful. Set it up with your bio, a picture of yourself and then link to your website, your vendors and your colleagues. This should take no longer than an hour to set up.
Twitter is a newsfeed from millions of different people. Some are quite significant and some are not. We do not encourage most physicians to spend a lot of time on Twitter. However, we do see Twitter pages cataloging on the search engines quite well. From a purely SEO standpoint, heres what you should probably do:
- Set up a twitter account for your business
- Follow other doctors, associations, and publications in your space
- Link your Twitter page to your website
Five MORE Ways To Improve Your Online Reputation
6. Create news This is a classic PR idea. Large and reputable news sites trump almost every other site in terms of search engine placement and overall value of a link back to your site. Theyre important resources, people go to them for information and Google treats them as such. You should focus on creating newsworthy events and then getting them out to the news sources because this information catalogs extremely well. If youre going to do anything, try to make it newsworthy. Seminars are newsworthy. Events are newsworthy. Saving peoples lives or changing peoples lives is newsworthy. What better way to tell Google youre a prominent Sarasota plastic surgeon than to be featured in the Sarasota Herald Tribune with a link back to you? Google sees the geographic relevance and the significance of the source and catalogs you accordingly.
Five Kinds of Negative Search Results
1. Negative Websites An unhappy patient or a patient with a bad result can set up a negative website. This site catalogs extremely well and is an extremely relevant result on searches for you. Expect a negative website to take a prominent position on searches for your name. Also expect it to be protected by the first amendment unless you can prove slander or libel. The most famous case of a negative website is baddentist.com which spent 5 years cataloging all over the place in the Manhattan market before it was finally taken down. What is the best defense against a negative website? Get positive info out there NOW not after the fact. Communicate with unhappy patients - dont let it get to this stage because were finding its very difficult to deal with once it gets this far. 2. Squatters and Incorrect Information This negative result is when a